Adapted from Operation Happiness
Changing your first thoughts, as well as your routine in the morning, to bring in the positive is not only part of a fresh way to approach achieving a happier life, it’s also a fundamental part of bringing more energy, optimism, and success into your world.
Here are a few helpful tools and ideas to help you create your daily practice of waking up in a positive, empowering place. I use them to keep me on track. I love them because they’re super-simple and, even better, because they really work.
Try these empowering exercises that’ll entirely transform your morning:
1. Keep a pad and pen next to the bed to write down positive thoughts and affirmations when they come to mind.
When you need a little nudge in the morning, grab it and read away. You can also use this to write down those great ideas that pop into your head in the middle of the night and nag you until you either lose them forever (a major bummer) or write them down.
2. Memorize a favorite saying or affirmation as a default phrase you can shift to when needed.
One of my favorites is “It’s a brand new day and another opportunity to create joy and success.”
3. Keep a favorite quote or affirmation in a frame on your nightstand.
This will always put you in a better place. I have a quote I love from Neale Donald Walsch that reads, “If you want the best the world has to offer, offer the world your best.”
4. Keep a glass of water next to your bed so it’s waiting for you when you wake up.
The water will be there to welcome you to the new day, refresh your body, and start you off in a nurtured place. It’s a physical reminder that you should do loving things for yourself. I can’t stress enough how important it is to give your body the gift of hydration. Hydration = energy!
5. Subscribe to a positive blog or newsletter so you have a regular flow of uplifting content to read anytime you need it.
I’ve made a habit of reading at least one every morning when I have my tea or coffee. Do this before you open yourself up to whatever the current news headlines are that day. They can wait. Your day should start on a positive, happy, and uplifting note.